2012 PLATFORM AND PLANKS
Voted on and approved at the Clark County Democratic Party Convention on April 12, 2012
2012 Clark County Democratic Party Platform
The Founding Fathers, in order to form a more perfect union, created a federal government designed to promote the common welfare. Clark County Democrats believe that our country and our state are greater than the sum of their parts and that good government provides the bones that gives strength and structure to private enterprise. Therefore:
Corporations are not people. Money is not speech. We support a Federal Constitutional Amendment, and Nevada’s ratification, confirming Congress’ right to ensure fair and honest elections by curtailing the influence of money in politics and closing the revolving door in politics.
Nevada must update its Constitution to compete in the new global economy. The current economic downturn clearly illustrates Nevada’s need for an annual legislature. We support amending the Nevada Constitution to remove the 2/3 majority requirement for enacting taxation laws.
Democracy cannot exist without fair elections.. The right to vote is guaranteed in the Constitution and its Amendments. We oppose recent, cynical passage of voter suppression laws based on unsubstantiated fears of voter fraud.
Women are people, too. We support the right of all individuals to determine the course of their personal lives, including the structure and size of their families, universal access to all benefits of society and the right of all couples of legal age to marry. We oppose legislation designed to reduce women’s economic freedom by denying access to abortion or reproductive health care services.
We support the transition to universal healthcare and the immediate option for any citizen to buy into Medicare.
Our strength lies in our diversity. We strongly support fulfilling the promise of a free and equal society and right of all members of society to rise through equal access to justice, jobs and civil rights.
Bring our troops home and support their transition to productive civilian life. We applaud the Obama Administration’s aggressive efforts to end veteran homelessness by 2015 and all homelessness by 2020. War profiteering should be criminalized, as it has been historically.
Government provides the foundation for economic opportunity. Core government services such as education, research, environmental protection, electricity and transportation are the economic building blocks that allow private enterprise to create jobs and develop a vibrant capitalist economy.
Capitalism cannot function without regulated, transparent, free markets. We support mark to market mortgage write downs for all homeowners to clear and stabilize the housing market and the right of first refusal to homeowners in foreclosures in order to reset the economy on a path to growth; full and immediate funding of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and agencies in charge of regulating commodities speculation and shadow financial markets.
We support governing for the long term. Fully funding higher and K-12 education, Head Start, after school programs, quality healthcare, foster care, mental health services and a social safety net have proven to be both morally and fiscally responsible. We oppose the privatization of core services and support responsible, transparent, targeted spending that is future-oriented, understands that inaction is expensive, and refrains from pushing costs onto future generations.
We support Good Jobs and the Green Economy. Nevada can lead the world in the 21st Century energy economy if we invest in and support our intellectual, creative and physical sustainable resources including funding cutting edge R&D through education; sustainable planning and building; community gardens and orchards; small scale and organic farms and access to healthy food in all schools and neighborhoods.
Labor is the source of national wealth. We support the right of workers to organize to share in the wealth they create in order to: earn a living wage; work in safety; live in affordable housing; and retire with dignity. Supply side economics, austerity and income inequality destroy economies and families.
We support an immediate state and federal jobs program for youth, minorities, long-term unemployed and returning military to incorporate them into the working economy.
–2012 Clark County Platform Planks–
CONSUMER AFFAIRS & ECONOMIC JUSTICE
IT IS A GOVERNMENT’S OBLIGATION TO PROMOTE A VIBRANT ECONOMY THAT ENSURES ADEQUATE INCOME FOR ALL AND PROTECTS AMERICAN CONSUMERS IN THE MARKETPLACE BY GUARANTEEING A LEVEL ECONOMIC PLAYING FIELD AND PRODUCT SAFETY. IT IS THE GOVERNMENT’S RESPONSIBILITY TO PROMOTE CAPITALISM, PROTECT THE CONSUMER AND THE WORKER, PROMOTE FAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES AND PROVIDE FOR THE PUBLIC GOOD.
Strive for economic justice locally and globally
- We support sustainable trade policies that create living wage jobs.
- We support eliminating laws, policies and tax subsidies that help companies take jobs overseas.
- We support foreign aid policies oriented toward eliminating global hunger and poverty .
- We support helping individuals through education, access to clean water and fighting diseases such as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.
Regulation of free markets and commerce to ensure workers are treated fairly
- We support the establishment, licensing and maintenance of quality day care facilities and urge businesses to consider on-site or subsidized daycare for their employees when possible.
- We support legislation that requires firms receiving favored tax status to meet fair economic standards for wages, benefits and work conditions for employees and to satisfy all Federal and State standards of environmental and social responsibility.
- Since the backbone of the American economy is small business, responsible for up to 75% of all employment, we support effective government policies to foster small business.
- We support public policies that level the playing field for all Nevada businesses by providing affordable healthcare for employees and their families; equitable taxes and regulation; fair and equal access to capital; and support for business innovation and technology.
- We support the creation of business incubators and mentoring opportunities for minority owned business.
Core services are an engine of economic growth necessary for a just society and should not be privatized
- We support that core services must be equally accessible to all communities and must be provided in a timely, consistent, sustainable and competent fashion
- We support that when promised efficiencies have not materialized we support returning these services to the public sector.
Consumers have the right to safe products, equitable dealings, and fair prices
- We support zoning that restricts specific adult activities in areas open to the general public.
- We support the formation of a commission to hear proposals and justifications for rent increases at mobile home parks, and to decide what is reasonable and justified.
- We support the reinstatement of usury laws in the State of Nevada to protect consumers from predatory “loan practices” and laws that illegally obtained personal data cannot be retained even in private databases.
- We support banning the use of credit scores and histories for anything other than credit
- We support that anytime a credit history or score is provided to a decision maker that fact must be disclosed and the individual have a right to challenge and correct any inaccuracies in any data that was provided in the history or used in calculating the credit score.
- We support steps to guarantee safety of all domestic and imported products sold in U.S. markets.
- We support legislation that provides mediation or legal support that keeps families in their home and protects homeowners and renters from predatory lending institutions, landlords and HOAs.
Progressive tax structures are a fair and efficient means of meeting the cost of core services across the broadest spectrum of participants while being linked to their ability to pay
- We support examining all possible tax options to ensure a stable and adequate long term tax base.
- We support opposition to any federal tax of Nevada’s natural resource wealth.
- We support a property tax rebate program for those Nevadans receiving disability benefits.
- We support policies to assist small family-owned farms.
- We support measures that direct economic support and tax relief to those most in need.
- We support opposition to a national sales tax or a value added tax in lieu of income tax.
- We support policies that ensure that businesses cover the true social and environmental costs of their products and services instead of shifting the costs to the community or future generations.
- We support that all earned income will be subject to Social Security taxes.
- We support a margin tax on businesses making more than $2M in gross revenue annually.
- We support a mining depletion trust.
- We oppose to disproportionately raising revenue on the backs of the middle class and poor.
- We support that the 2013 budget room tax be used to supplement education funding and not replace funds from the general fund comply with NRS.
- We support funding education, social services, health services and infrastructure, adequately to make Nevada a national leader by 2020.
- We supports legislation to restructure the allocation of state funds, and state assets, to address the chronic under investment in innovation assets in Clark County.
- We support building upon the key assets of Clark County, where 72% of the state population resides, by securing proportional state funding adequate to meet the educational, social, and economic needs of our growing, diverse population.
GOVERNMENT HAS AN OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE ITS CITIZENS WITH ACCESS TO ALL BENEFITS OF SOCIETY WITHOUT REGARD TO GENDER, COLOR, AGE, RACE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITY, MARITAL STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION OR GENDER IDENTITY. DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION ARE THE GREATEST STRENGTHS OF OUR NATION AND OUR PARTY.
- Equal rights for all people
- We oppose illegal wiretapping, search and seizures.
- We support strict adherence to the Geneva Conventions, which prohibits torture as inhumane and criminal. Torture has also been shown to be ineffective.
- We re-emphasize our commitment of habeas corpus as a core constitutional value.
- Supports the full inclusion of all families in the life of our nation, with equal respect, responsibility, and protection under the law, including the freedom to marry. We support the Respect for Marriage Act and the overturning of the federal Defense of Marriage Act
- We support opposition to discriminatory constitutional amendments and other attempts to deny the freedom to marry to loving and committed same-sex couples.
- We support the inclusion of gender identity and gender expression in the definitions of hate crime laws.
- Demands equal rights for women.
- Encourages enforcement of Title IX (equal opportunity for girls and women in physical education and athletics).
- We support fair and effective affirmative action.
- We support the re-institution of the Fairness Doctrine ensuring accurate and fair information from media.
- We support the elimination of “racial and ethnic profiling.”
- We support the inherent rights of indigenous peoples to maintain cultural autonomy in their economy, sovereignty, religion, language, customs and land holdings.
- We oppose a national I.D. card system.
Supports comprehensive immigration reform
- We support a pathway to citizenship.
- We support ensuring the rights of children of undocumented immigrants are protected.
- We support the enforcement of immigration policies and border security.
- We support the protection of the rights of legal immigrants.
- We support the equal protection and rights and responsibilities in all areas for domestic partners and same-sex married couples regardless of their residency status
- We support the passage of the DREAM ACT.
THE GREATNESS OF AMERICA IS BUILT ON THE HARD WORK AND DEDICATION OF ITS WORKERS. A FAILURE TO PROTECT OUR WORKERS IS A FAILURE TO PROTECT OUR NATION AND OURSELVES. PROTECTING THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF ALL WORKERS INCLUDING A WORKERS BILL OF RIGHTS AND THE RIGHT OF COLLECTIVE BARGAINING IS CRITICAL TO PRESERVING AN AMERICA THAT IS STRONG AND DEMOCRATIC.
Urges the state and federal government adopt the Workers Bill of Rights
- In the workplace, every individual is entitled to all of the basic rights and protections of the United States Constitution and The Constitution of the State Of Nevada.
- Every worker is entitled to health care disability benefits, unemployment benefits and retirement benefits.
- Every worker and every Public Employee is entitled to organize for the benefit of Collective Bargaining and an absolute right to Binding Arbitration.
- Every worker is entitled to a living wage and fair compensation and benefits for their labor including the opportunity for affordable health care for themselves and their family.
- Every worker is entitled to a safe and healthful work environment.
- Every worker is entitled to protection from unfair business practices or work rules or the exporting of jobs for the purpose of denying or evading The Worker’s Bill Of Rights.
- Every worker is entitled to a workplace environment that promotes a positive Worker-Business Partnership for the benefit of all.
- Prohibits business from utilizing unfair business practices and exporting jobs to evade the basic Worker’s Bill of Rights.
Supports the right to organize with collective bargaining and binding arbitration including all public workers
- We support protecting public employee collective bargaining and not rolling back NRS 288.
- We support calling on employers to acknowledge the rights of employees to organize, and to support those employees who organize a union by recognizing that union by simple card check recognition. Additionally, we support calling on employers to negotiate fairly with those workers.
- We support legislation that prevents, and opposes the permanent replacement of workers engaged in a legal strike.
- We oppose the anti-worker so-called “paycheck protection” initiative which destroys the political viability of unions.
- We oppose the use of anti-union consultants hired to instruct their clients on how to avoid labor laws & hiring requirements.
- We support recognition of collective bargaining rights or civil service status for TSA screeners, or any other federal employee affected by the Homeland Security Act.
Supports a living wage and fair compensation and benefits for all workers
- We support efforts to eliminate poverty by increasing the minimum wage, increasing salary as cost of living increases, and repealing withholding taxes on unemployment compensation.
- We support the use of project labor agreements on government projects.
- We support additional funding for the workers compensation system in Nevada so that benefits will be distributed sooner and in increased amounts.
- We support enforcing and increasing penalties for Companies who falsify wages and hours reported to Department of Labor.
- We support the need to stop misclassification of workers as independent contractors.
- We support implementing mandatory monitoring of all projects covered under the Davis/Bacon act, making companies accountable for hours towards productivity.
- We support the protection of federal Davis/Bacon Act (prevailing wages) and Nevada’s “Little Davis/Bacon Act.”
- Recognizing the multiplier effect of hiring and contracting local, we support modifying contracting rules to facilitate hiring of Nevadans for government projects and jobs, whenever possible.
Supports protecting workers from an unsafe working environment
- We support a law requiring insurance companies to reimburse legal fees of workers required to retain attorneys to obtain benefits to which they are legally entitled.
- We support efforts to fully fund the Nevada Division of Occupational, Safety, and Health Agency and the Mine Safety and Health Agency.
- We support the requiring skilled labor training and certification for all crafts performing life threatening activities, preventing potential loss of life, and or injury to self and others.
- We support the minimum requirement of ten hours of OSHA training for all workers employed in the construction industry.
Supports protecting all workers’ basic rights in the workplace including worker’s disability health care, unemployment and retirement benefits
- We support legislation to protect workers from unwarranted invasion of privacy.
- We support the right of workers to picket peacefully without undue restraint.
- We support legislation that would prevent companies from misclassifying workers or keeping employees in continued part-time status in order to avoid paying benefits.
- We support legislation that prevents companies from firing workers in order to avoid paying benefits.
- We support legislation that would require all employers to pay into a health care plan for all workers employed on prevailing wage jobs.
- We support the election of the state labor commissioner versus an appointment by the Governor.
- We support legislation requiring qualified pension plans be fully funded.
ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT, AND LAND USE
THE FUTURE OF OUR NATION AND OUR STATE DEPENDS ON AN ENERGY POLICY THAT WILL PROVIDE ENERGY INDEPENDENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY, PROTECT OUR ENVIRONMENT, PRESERVE OUR LANDS, AND PROVIDE FOR THE HEALTH AND ECONOMIC WELL-BEING OF THE PRESENT AND FUTURE CITIZENS OF OUR STATE. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports Nevada as an international leader in the research, development education, and production of green energy
Supports an energy policy that leads to energy independence by promoting conservation and the development of renewable resources in an environmentally sound manner
- We support Nevada legislative action to require that all new public buildings meet energy environmental design standards, provide incentives and develop a plan for the conversion of existing public buildings to meet those standards. Discussion also including public versus privately held buildings – required versus providing incentives. Discussion also included fact that legislation passed re new public building construction, so language should be to “support continued action.”
- We support enacting standards for the percentage of energy that public utilities must provide from renewable sources until we reach 100%
- We support providing incentives for existing power plants in Nevada that exceed the clean energy standards by designated dates.
- We support providing incentives for distributed and renewable alternative energy.
- We support a plan for Nevada to assume a leadership role in clean energy production and exportation, by reducing the use of fossil fuels by 50% by the year 2020.
- We support focusing the Office of Economic Development on the recruitment and retention of green businesses to Nevada.
- We support the creation of a public, American built, Western Region high-speed rail network.
- We support a balanced transportation system, to include mass transit.
- We support the financing of home projects that achieve the desired goal of energy independence .
THE NATION AND NEVADA ARE FACED WITH PRESSING ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES INCLUDING WATER SUPPLIES, CLIMATE CHANGE, AIR AND WATER POLLUTION, AND THE LOSS OF NATURAL RESOURCES. BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF LAND WITHIN THE STATE IS UNDER FEDERAL JURISDICTION AND ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES TRANSCEND CITY, COUNTY, AND STATE BOUNDARIES, THESE ISSUES MAY ONLY BE RESOLVED THROUGH THE COOPERATIVE EFFORTS AT ALL LEVELS. THEREFORE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports a water resource management policy that promotes conservation, sound impact analysis, and the management of the waters of the State in a manner that provides sustainable water supplies for future generations without diminishing the economic viability of our rural areas; reducing the habitat critical for fish, game, protected species, and other wildlife; or reduces the scant surface water recreational opportunities of our arid state
- We call for federal, state, and local governments to assess all regional and local environmental and socioeconomic impacts resulting from inter-basin transfers of water from rural to urban areas.
- We urge State agencies to revise and update water and drought plans and identify, assess and aggressively pursue new technologies.
Supports municipal, county, state, and national action to assess and prepare for the consequences of climate change, regardless of the cause
- We support local government in taking steps to reduce air emissions, promote conservation, develop mass transit, and provide educational programs.
- We urge Congress and the President to take immediate action to reduce our contribution of our nation to climate change, and to take a leadership role in addressing a critical worldwide issue.
Opposes the transportation and disposal of high-level nuclear wastes in the State and calls for the mitigation of the impacts of underground nuclear weapons testing through the replacement of the irreparably damaged water resources of the State
- We urge all state agencies and elected representatives to continue to vigorously oppose the licensing, construction, and operation of Yucca Mountain as a waste repository.
- We urge the Governor to designate the Nevada Test Site a Superfund Site.
- We urge the State to take steps to seek mitigation to replace resources that have been damaged through Department of Defense and Department of Energy actions.
- We urge finding alternative uses for Yucca Mountain.
Supports mandatory recycling for all business and individuals
1. Expand competition for current recycling companies.
2. Provide recycling bins for all inhabited domiciles and businesses.
PROVIDING FOR CONSERVATION AND ENHANCEMENT OF PUBLIC LANDS AND RESOURCES, WHILE ENSURING ECONOMICALLY VIABLE COMMUNITIES, RECREATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES, AND NATURAL RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT REQUIRES COMPREHENSIVE LAND USE AND MANAGEMENT POLICIES. THEREFORE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports land use management policies that provide for the retention of wilderness areas, recreational opportunities, wildlife, woodland, and water resource protection, and land and activities that support the continued economic opportunities for future generations
- We support the continued evaluation of wilderness study areas and their timely designation as either suitable for wilderness area or multiple use management.
- We support the legislature to designate a state network of bicycle, equestrian and non-motorized trails and to provide funds for the construction and maintenance of this network.
- We support the cooperation of local, state, and federal agencies to designate and develop specific areas for the use of off highway vehicles.
- We support the transfer of lands to communities or counties for economic or recreational development to mitigate the impacts of increased wilderness area designations, areas of critical environmental concern, or other designations that remove lands from future development.
- We support federal legislation to designate the Gold Butte and Tule Springs Upper Las Vegas Wash for federal protection.
- We support a ballot question for legislation to further protect Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area and all our other natural resources.
- We support maintaining Lake Tahoe’s pristine environment through environmentally sound planning and continued participation in the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency.
ELECTIONS, ETHICS and GOVERNMENT
DEMOCRACY IN OUR STATE AND NATION DEPENDS UPON FAIR AND FREE ELECTIONS WITHOUT UNDUE INFLUENCE FROM VESTED FINANCIAL OR IDEOLOGICAL INTERESTS. WE ADVOCATE THE RULE OF LAW, EVEN WHEN IT IS DIFFICULT; FREE SPEECH, EVEN WHEN PEOPLE DISAGREE WITH WHAT WE HOLD MOST DEAR; FREE AND FAIR ELECTIONS, EVEN IF OUR CANDIDATE FAILS TO GET THE MOST VOTES; AND CIVILITY, EVEN IN THE FACE OF OVERT CONTEMPT AND CYNICISM BECAUSE WE BELIEVE THAT TRUTH AND JUSTICE ARE THE AMERICAN WAY. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports voter rights so that no qualified voter is denied the opportunity to cast their vote, actions that will ensure that all ballots are counted.
- We support legislation that eliminates inequities in the voting process by mandating equal voter access in the designation of polling places and facilities, regulates the distribution and type of voting machines, provides for same day registration, and enacts criminal penalties for the destruction of voter registration forms, voter intimidation, or the dissemination of false information regarding voter eligibility, polling locations, or election dates and hours. Recasting 1 opposing any violations or restriction in existing voting laws that restrict voter access.
- We support extending early voting sites and days.
- We support equal access and fairness in selecting permanent early voting locations across the county.
- We support legislation to set standards and provide public financing for qualified candidates for any state Constitutional Office or seat in the Nevada Legislature or Congress so that any person, regardless of their financial status, has an equal opportunity to be an elected representative of the people.
- We support a Constitutional Amendment to create a public financing system to reduce the influence of money in federal elections.
- We support legislation requiring registration and intention of Political Action Committees to be transparent and clearly identified.
- We urge the Registrar of Voters to work with minority groups to increase permanent early voting sites in their communities, establish citizens election oversight committees at the State, County, and District levels to review and investigate any allegations of election improprieties, and recommend prosecution for any violations of the election laws of the State.
- We urge the legislature to designate General Election Day a State Holiday.
- We support amending the Constitution to provide for popular vote election of the President.
We support comprehensive campaign finance reform that eliminates corruption and provides for full transparency in financing political campaigns
- We support a constitutional amendment that corporate political contributions do not constitute any form of protected speech.
- We believe congress has the responsibility and authority to regulate elections
THE DEMOCRATS SUPPORT THE HIGHEST ETHICAL STANDARDS FOR ALL PUBLIC OFFICIALS AND FULL TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY FOR ALL LOCAL, COUNTY, AND STATE GOVERNMENT AND ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES, REGARDLESS OF THEIR POLITICAL PARTY OR AFFILIATION. THEREFORE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
- We support sanctions against candidates in elections that knowingly make false statements.
- We support continuing the ban of registered lobbyists from the floor of the Nevada Legislature.
- We support enacting laws that electronic communications with legislators regarding legislative business must be disclosed and made available online.
- We support creating a website that publicly tracks and discloses all lobbying interactions.
- We support the election of state and local judges.
- We urge that all offices on State and local ballots be partisan offices and all candidates be required to declare their party affiliation.
THE CITIZENS OF CLARK COUNTY AND NEVADA MUST HAVE A GOVERNMENT THAT PLACES THE HIGHEST PRIORITY ON THE HEALTH, WELFARE, AND SAFETY OF THE PEOPLE. THAT NEVADA LEADS THE NATION IN HOUSING FORECLOSURES, IS RANKED LOW IN HEALTH CARE, AND FACES SEVERE INFRASTRUCTURE AND PUBLIC SAFETY PROBLEMS POINTS TO THE FAILURE OF THE GOVERNMENT TO FULFILL ITS OBLIGATIONS. THEREFORE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports government policies that provide fair, adequate, and apportioned taxes and state spending
- We urge state regulators to work with banks and lenders to mitigate the mortgage foreclosure crisis and to reform lending laws in Nevada to mitigate future loan defaults.
- We support consideration of non-traditional forms of tax revenue.
- We urge the legislature and State agencies simplify and clarify all laws and regulations including tax laws.
- We support that all local, county, and state government contract awards go to local businesses and labor, whenever possible.
Supports Medicare and Medicaid and incentives for small businesses to provide their workers with health care benefits
- We oppose fee reductions to doctors as a means to reduce Medicare benefits and avoid keeping promises made to its recipients.
- We oppose cutting Medicaid benefits by the State of Nevada, and support funding of health care for the most vulnerable even if taxes on corporations and severance fees on natural resources must be raised to pay for them.
- We support that Medicaid cover catastrophic illnesses for young adults, without a waiting period.
- We oppose converting Medicaid to a private or block grant program.
- We support streamlining the disability rating system of Medicare and Medicaid.
- We support the transition to universal health care and the immediate option for any citizen to buy into Medicare. (We believe the focus should be on defending the Affordable Care Act.)
Supports investment in the future of our state by increased funding for transportation, public safety, consumer protection, and the involvement of our citizens in improving our State
- We urge the legislature to fund upgrades of our state highways, provide funding for maintenance and improvement of our roads, bridges, state parks, and other infrastructure, and fund safety enhancements for our rural roads.
- We support increased funding levels for the Nevada Highway Patrol, County and municipal law enforcement agencies, and state agencies responsible for the regulation of food and drugs, toys, pet food, cosmetics, and public water supplies.
- We support the development of a Nevada Civilian Conservation Corps to provide vocational training to our youth, assist in infrastructure improvement, and to instill a sense of pride in their State.
- We support legislation that requires all wireless, cable or satellite television and/or internet providers with exclusive service areas be regulated by the Nevada Public Utilities Commission.
- We support a constitutional amendment that the Nevada State Legislature meet annually.
- We support an increase in legislator’s salaries to broaden the number of actual citizen legislators.
FAMILY, HEALTH, & WELFARE
Affordable quality health care strong families , access to affordable housing , a healthy environment and safe children are the right of every citizen. Therefore the Democratic Party:
Supports a health care system, which ensures quality, affordable health care for all
- We support Nevada’s participation in the Affordable Care Act.
- We support mental health parity as part of any health care plan so coverage mental illnesses is provided on the same terms and conditions as other illnesses and diseases.
- We support cost-savings measures through programs like universal pricing and automated checklist care plans.
- We support expansion of and equitable funding for all programs regarding sexually transmitted infections including HIV and AIDS prevention, education, research, health care, and counseling.
- We urge increasing the availability of medical treatment in rural areas and underserved areas through programs like Clinics in Schools.
- We support requiring insurance companies to accept any willing and qualified provider.
- We support universal screening programs for infants for disabling or life-threatening conditions and re-screening for young children for developmental disorders.
- We support funding community clinics to provide inoculations for all required vaccinations.
- We support increased funding for medical research.
- We support blastocyst stem cell research.
- We support use of marijuana as a substance for medical use.
- We support addressing the nursing shortage by providing education, resources and training incentives
- We support requiring adequate yearly training programs for caregivers, including courses in CPR, basic first aid, nutrition, preventive care, and counseling.
- We support lowering the nurse/patient ratio and safe staffing regulations to meet nationally recommended nursing standards.
- We support the mandatory inclusion of at least one practicing physician and at least one lay person on every hospital executive board with equal and full voting privileges.
- We support requiring all health insurers to formed as non-profits.
- We support the extension of Medicaid coverage up to age 26.
Supports women’s health care and reproductive freedom. Supports the constitutional right to privacy and reproductive freedom of choice established in the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision of Roe vs. Wade and affirmed in Nevada Revised Statutes, Sec. 442.50. The ability to pay should not infringe on this right.
- We support individuals, not the government, taking responsibility for making personal decisions about their reproductive lives, size and structure of their families.
- We support insurance companies covering a full range of reproductive health care including preserving and treating fertility.
- We support insurance coverage of birth control without co-pay.
- We support state and federal funding for reproductive health providers including funding to organizations such as Planned Parenthood under Title X.
- We support providing pre- and post- natal care for all pregnant women and their infants.
- We support comprehensive, medically accurate, age appropriate sex education in publicly funded Nevada schools.
- We support allowing the distribution of birth control information and devices in age appropriate public schools settings.
- We oppose laws requiring notification for termination of pregnancy.
- We support judicial nominees who protect the right to privacy.
- We oppose misleading so-called “personhood” ballot initiatives designed to ban all abortions, including in cases of rape or incest, and other vital women’s health services by granting legal protections to fertilized eggs, embryos and fetuses.
- We oppose medically unnecessary obstacles to women obtaining abortions and reproductive health care.
- We believe Reproductive Justice exists when all people have the social, political and economic power and resources to make healthy decisions about our gender, bodies, sexuality and families for ourselves and our communities.
- We support federal funding for voluntary international family planning because it saves the lives of women and children and contributes to the welfare of communities.
- We oppose the “global gag rule” that inhibits people world-wide from getting comprehensive reproductive health services.
Supports Veteran’s health care and taking care of our military families. The greatness of America is founded on the sacrifices made by our veterans. Government has an obligation to provide all veterans with access to quality medical and mental health care
- We urge the Government to fully fund the Veteran’s Administration.
- We support providing lifetime, paid healthcare for service-related medical conditions.
- We support expanding veteran’s health and assistance programs, including psychological, psychiatric, prosthetic, rehabilitative, and job placement programs, particularly focusing on programs for veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
- We support creation of housing opportunities for veterans with traumatic injuries so they can remain within their community and not be institutionalized.
- We urge providing health care coverage for families of enabled guard members and reservists.
- Supports complete medical services for active military & veteran women including full roster of legal reproductive services.
- Supports the conducting of an immediate physical including rape kit for any woman claiming abuse of any kind. We also support mental and emotional counseling as well as access to legal representation.
- We expect the military to vigorously pursue allegations of rape or abuse of any kind and to pursue full prosecution, when appropriate.
- We support increasing military pay and benefits to disabled veterans.
- We support streamlining the existing VA disability rating system to make the process simpler and fairer.
- The VA Outpatient Facilities must work for Veterans and their families.
- We support the establishment of an additional VA Hospital with a prosthetic limb lab in Southern Nevada.
- We support the access of service animals in all facilities.
Supports families and community through strengthening social and community services
- We support expanding the Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) to support paid sick leave for smaller companies than currently mandated.
- We support providing quality and affordable day care to working families.
- We support continuation and improvement of programs, such as rent support, low-income housing, food stamps, SCHIP, Medicaid, child abuse prevention, and shelters for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- We support regulating bank account fees.
- We support expansion and enforcement of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- We support expanding community direct care services with the goal of ensuring high-quality care for those with disabilities to allow Americans with significant disabilities the choice of living in their community rather than living in a nursing home.
- We support continued and additional funding of transportation for seniors.
- We support quality after-school programs and enrichment programs, which offer a safe environment and enhance children’s participation in community involvement.
- We support creating a comprehensive job program for those who have been unemployed or underemployed over 26 weeks.
- We support full funding of the Nevada community service-related Job Corps.
- We support housing programs that eliminate the barriers for all individuals including homeless, elderly, disabled, and low-income people.
- We urge the full and vigorous implementation and enforcement of all equal opportunity housing and affirmative action laws and opposes agency distortion of the original intent of the law.
- We support investing in struggling neighborhoods and working to replace dilapidated housing in areas of concentrated poverty.
- We support the Consumer Financial Protection Act of 2009.
Supports our families and community through providing a healthy environment
- We support providing consumers with country-of-origin information.
- We support increasing inspections of food.
- We support regulations, which provide increased research on all bio-engineered foods to ensure safety for agriculture as well as environment and health.
- We oppose the use of downed or sick animals, or parts thereof, to feed other animals.
- In an effort to reduce childhood obesity, we support the efforts to drastically reduce the consumption of high sugar and processed foods in all schools that receive public funding.
Supports programs which strengthen our families and protect our children
- We support fully funding foster care and disadvantaged youth programs.
- We support programs that pair a responsible adult with every foster child.
- We support programs for homeless youth and families.
THE FUTURE OF OUR NATION RESTS WITH OUR CHILDREN AND THEIR ABILITY TO FIND WORK THAT WILL PROVIDE A MIDDLE CLASS INCOME AND TEACH THEM TO BE PRODUCTIVE MEMBERS OF SOCIETY. NO BETTER TOOL EXISTS FOR SECURING THIS FUTURE THAN TO GUARANTEE A FREE QUALITY EDUCATION FOR EVERY CHILD BEGINNING WITH PRE-SCHOOL AND ENDING WITH HIGHER EDUCATION OR VOCATIONAL TRAINING. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY BELIEVES THAT ALL CHILDREN SHOULD HAVE EQUAL ACCESS TO A FREE, QUALITY PUBLIC EDUCATION AND REJECTS ALL ATTEMPTS TO PRIVATIZE THIS CORE SERVICE. THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports investing in our future and saving taxpayer dollars by fully investing in early childhood education including Head Start, Full Day Kindergarten, reading readiness programs and child nutrition programs
- We support adequate funding for training and technical assistance for Head Start, Early Head Start, TRIO and Upward Bound programs and components that are essential for maintaining program quality.
- We oppose the federal block granting of Head Start programs or shifting administration and control of Head Start, Early Head Start, TRIO and Upward Bound programs to the state level.
Supports fully investing in K-12 education
- We support the development and implementation of a new funding formula for fairness in funding for K-12 education in Nevada.
- We believe homeless and transient children should be able to register for a home school and be provided with transportation to that school in order to facilitate their ability to graduate from high school, despite their unstable circumstances.
- We support the ability of runaway children to register for school without parental information or consent, if they believe their life, health or safety is threatened.
- We reaffirm teaching a core social studies curriculum K through 12 including economics, state, U.S. and world history, and geography.
- We support a statewide academic success-mentoring program for children in foster care.
- We support one-hour daily physical activity daily for all students.
- We support early foreign language teaching beginning in kindergarten .
- We condemn any effort to re-write American history through selective textbook writings in such states as Texas.
- We support in-school Drivers Education with driving practice labs.
- We support increasing funding for math and science curricula.
- We support fully funding access to arts education for grades K through 12 including visual arts, orchestra, band, and related applied arts.
- We support a longer school day in order to enrich the current curricula.
- We support funding for summer school remedial opportunities for at risk students.
- We support additional funding for technological and general vocational programs at high schools and community colleges.
- We support school-trade union partnerships for vocational education.
- We support increasing the state per-student funding to an amount equal to or greater than the average national standards by the year 2014.
- We oppose censorship of educational and school library materials and opposes the advocacy of any religious doctrine in public schools.
- We support legislation that would lower the average student-teacher ratio to 25:1 in grades four through twelve and 16:1 in grades kindergarten through three throughout the state by increasing the number of classrooms, rather than increasing the number of teachers working in the same space.
- We oppose any federal education program that determines student achievement solely by high-stakes testing.
- We oppose the deconsolidation of the Clark County School District.
- We support the funding of quality, nutritious and balanced school breakfast and lunch programs for all children and adequate time to eat.
- We urge Congress to fully fund the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) as currently written.
- We oppose privatizing education.
- We support accountability for home schooling education by requiring a prescribed curriculum and the passing of the same standards that are required of public school students.
- We believe all educators should have the resources and tools they need to perform their jobs well.
- We support funding of mentoring programs for new teachers and principals.
- We support funding for educational scholarships for educators interested in pursuing degrees in the educational field.
- We support funding for implementation of state requirements for environmental education for grades K-12 including, but not limited to continued sponsorship and funding by the Nevada Department of Conservation and Natural Resources for Project Wild, Project Learning Tree, and Water Education for Teachers, which educate teachers about natural resources education.
- We support requiring that all educators are assigned to positions for which they are certified.
- We support funding for school districts to pay teachers for extra teaching time. Teachers should also receive a comparable amount of paid preparation time in the event that the school day is extended.
- We support collective bargaining and binding arbitration for all educators and support professionals with legislation that would require non-members of the bargaining units to provide payment to the bargaining agent if those non-members benefit directly from the negotiated agreements.
- We support every school having a full-time librarian.
Supports fully investing in a strong university and college system that allows all qualified high school graduates to get a quality college education without incurring crippling debt
- We support the development and implementation of a new funding formula for the long-term health of higher education in Nevada.
- We support legislation to fund the university and community college system at a level sufficient for excellent education without increasing tuition.
- We support the rights of Nevada high school graduates to millennium scholarships.
- We support directly funding the student loan program and eliminating the surcharge on Stafford and non-Stafford student loans added by lenders in order to cap all student loans at no more than 3 percent per annum.
- We support allowing students to refinance student loans in order to receive the lowest rates.
- We support allowing parents whose income is used to determine FISA parental financial responsibilities to deduct student loan interest payments on their tax returns.
- We support providing counseling and tutoring to foster care children in high school to prepare them for college.
- We support fully funding the costs of education including tuition, books and room and board for foster children & disadvantaged youth through the age of 26, as long as they are making steady progress toward a degree or vocational training certificate.
PROTECTING SOCIETY FROM CRIME IS ESSENTIAL FOR GOOD GOVERNMENT. EVERY EFFORT MUST BE MADE TO PROTECT SOCIETY AND VICTIMS OF CRIME THROUGH THE APPREHENSION, FAIR TRIAL, SENTENCING AND ULTIMATE REHABILITATION OF THE OFFENDERS. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports a criminal justice system that promotes a fair sentencing, safe prisons, and comprehensive rehabilitation to enable released prisoners to become productive members of society
- We support legislation providing for alternative forms of criminal punishment thus enabling non-violent offenders to continue to provide for themselves and their defendants and therefore reduce the cost to society.
- We support judicial discretion in sentencing and utilizing judicial peer review to address perceived sentencing problems and inconsistencies.
- We oppose the death penalty.
- We oppose disparate sentencing between crack and powder cocaine.
- We support racial and gender neutral sentencing.
- We support the basic human rights of prisoners to be protected from abuse.
- We support treating mentally ill offenders in appropriate setting and with medical treatment.
- We support diversity training on an ongoing basis, in order to eliminate discrimination, for police officers and their commanders, members of the judiciary, prosecutors, teachers and administrators, students, and persons within the social work environment.
- We support a job integration program for released prisoners.
- We oppose prosecuting minors as adults
- We oppose life without parole for minors.
- We support fully funding Veteran Courts, Drug Courts (including funds for drug and alcohol treatment) and Family Courts
- We oppose the privatization of prisons
- We support maintaining strong domestic violence laws and broaden the scope to include a marital rape law
Supports instituting programs that reduce the root causes of crime
- We support local and state programs offering solutions to gang violence and alternatives to juvenile incarceration for minor offenses. Also, supports the expansion of work, educational, counseling and recreational programs, both in and out of the institutional setting.
- We urge Nevada to re-evaluate the effectiveness of our state’s drug policies.
Supports programs that help victims of crime
- We support intervention programs for victims of domestic abuse and funding at a level to cover the costs of basic needs for shelter services.
- We support the funding of safe houses for sexually abused children, including child prostitutes.
- We support funding for counseling and health services for victims of sexual crimes.
- We support counseling, medical and mental health services for victims of bullying, cyber stalking, and hate crimes and their families.
Ensure accountability of criminal justice agencies and social services through meaningful citizen oversight committees
- We support establishing citizen oversight review boards for the District Attorney, police and social services.
- We urge a national requirement that when police forces use riot officers to control people assembling, every officer display in large letters and numbers his/her specific badge number in plain sight.
Work towards the elimination of prison sentences for victimless crimes
- We support regulation and taxation of marijuana.
- We support decriminalizing all drug use.
- We support the recognition of alcoholism and drug addiction as treatable diseases.
Supports the “Invest in Kids” strategy developed by more than 3000 police chiefs, sheriffs, prosecutors and judges to reduce crime. The four parts are:
- We support providing all families access to quality pre-kindergarten
- We support educational child care programs
- We support helping at-risk parents improve their parenting and prevent child abuse and neglect by offering in-home parenting coaching and ensure children protective services have resources sufficient to protect and heal abused children
- We support providing all school-age children and teens access to after school youth development programs.
We oppose human trafficking.
- We support strengthening protection for under age sex slaves.
- We support strengthening prosecution and penalties for pandering.