2014 CLARK COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY PLATFORM
Adopted May 3, 2014
The Founding Fathers, in order to form a more perfect union, created a federal government designed to promote the common welfare. Clark County Democrats believe that our country and our state are greater than the sum of their parts and that good government provides the environment that gives strength and structure to private enterprise. Therefore the Democratic Party believes:
Corporations are not people. Money is not speech. We support a Federal Constitutional Amendment, and Nevada’s ratification, confirming Congress’ right to ensure fair and honest elections by curtailing the excessive influence of money in politics.
Nevada must update its Constitution to compete in the new global economy. Nevada needs a full time legislature in order to catch up with prosperous states. Further, we support amending the Nevada Constitution to remove the 2/3 majority requirement for enacting taxation laws.
Democracy cannot exist without fair elections. The right to vote is guaranteed in the Constitution and its Amendments. We oppose recent passage of voter suppression laws based on unsubstantiated fears of voter fraud.
All people are entitled to equal rights and equal protection under the law. We support the right of all individuals to determine the course of their personal lives, including the size of their families, access to reproductive care, universal access to all benefits of society, and the right of all couples of legal age to marry. We strongly support fulfilling the promise of a free and equal society and right of all members of society to rise through equal access to justice, jobs and civil rights.
We support the Affordable Care Act. We support the full implementation of the Affordable Care Act both in Nevada and across the country. We further support the transition one day to universal healthcare and the immediate option for any citizen to buy into Medicare.
Bring our troops home and support their transition to productive civilian life. We applaud the Obama Administration’s aggressive efforts to end veteran homelessness by 2015 and all homelessness by 2020. War profiteering should be criminalized, as it has been historically.
Government provides the foundation for economic opportunity. Core government services such as education, research, environmental protection, the court system, public assistance programs and transportation are the economic building blocks that allow private enterprise to create jobs and develop a vibrant capitalist economy.
Capitalism cannot function without regulated, transparent, free markets. We support full and immediate funding of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and agencies in charge of regulating commodities speculation and financial markets.
We support governing for the long term. Fully funding higher and K-12 education, after school programs, quality healthcare, foster care, mental health services and a social safety net have proven to be both morally and fiscally responsible. We oppose the privatization of core services and support responsible, transparent, targeted spending that prepares our country for the future.
We support Good Jobs and the Green Economy. Nevada can lead the world in the 21st Century energy economy if we invest in and support our intellectual, creative and physical sustainable resources including funding cutting edge R&D through education; sustainable planning and building; community gardens and orchards; small scale and organic farms and access to healthy food in all schools and neighborhoods.
Labor is the source of national wealth. We support the right of workers to organize to share in the wealth they create in order to: earn a living wage; work in safety; live in affordable housing; and retire with dignity. Supply side economics, austerity and income inequality destroy economies and families.
We support an immediate state and federal jobs program for youth, minorities, long-term unemployed and returning military to incorporate them into the working economy.
–2014 Clark County Platform Planks–
PROTECTING SOCIETY FROM CRIME IS ESSENTIAL FOR GOOD GOVERNMENT. EVERY EFFORT MUST BE MADE TO PROTECT SOCIETY AND VICTIMS OF CRIME THROUGH: THE APPREHENSION OF CRIMINALS; FAIR CRIMINAL ADJUDICATIONS; APPROPRIATE SENTENCING; AND THE REHABILITATION OF OFFENDERS. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports a criminal justice system that promotes accountable policing, unbiased prosecution, fair sentencing, safe prisons, and comprehensive rehabilitation to help released prisoners become productive members of society.
- We support legislation providing for alternative forms of criminal punishment for non-violent offenders to continue to provide for themselves and their dependents, reducing the cost to society.
- We oppose the death penalty.
- We oppose the privatization of jails and prisons.
- We support racial and gender neutral sentencing.
- We support the legalization of marijuana use for all adults.
- We support continuing or instituting citizen oversight review boards for the District Attorney, police, parole, prisons, and social services.
- We support local and state programs offering solutions to gang violence and alternatives to juvenile incarceration for minor offenses.
- We support the expansion of work, educational, counseling and recreational programs, both in and out of the institutional setting.
- We support legislation that prohibits overcharging alleged offenders, a practice used to force plea bargains and gain convictions.
- We support common sense gun safety regulations, including funding for the mental health database, mandating universal background checks on all gun sales, and banning assault style weapons and high capacity magazines.
Supports programs that help victims of crime.
- We support the funding of intervention, education, counseling, medical services, mental health services, and shelter services for victims of crimes including, but not limited to, domestic abuse, sexual abuse, victims of sex trafficking, .
- We support violence prevention programs and anti-bullying programs.
GOVERNMENT HAS AN OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE ITS CITIZENS WITH ACCESS TO THE BENEFITS OF SOCIETY WITHOUT REGARD TO GENDER, COLOR, AGE, RACE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITY, MARITAL STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR GENDER IDENTITY. DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION ARE THE GREATEST STRENGTHS OF OUR NATION AND OUR PARTY. THEREFORE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports equal rights for all people.
- We absolutely oppose torture in any form, and we support strict adherence to the Geneva Conventions.
- Supports the full inclusion and full freedom of individuals of every race, gender, ethnicity, and sexual orientation, including equal respect, equal rights, equal responsibility, and equal protection under the law.
- We support marriage equality and support the movement to secure equal treatment under the law for same-sex couples.
- We support equal rights and equal pay for women.
- We support affirmative action.
- We support the inherent rights of indigenous peoples to maintain cultural autonomy in their economy, sovereignty, religion, language, customs and land holdings.
Supports comprehensive immigration reform.
- We support a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
- We support ensuring that families are not ripped apart by deportation.
- We support strong border security and the enforcement of humane immigration policies.
TAXES, REVENUE, AND SPENDING
THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD OPERATE ON A FAIR TAX BASE THAT PROVIDES FULL FUNDING FOR PROGRAMS THAT SUPPORT SUCCESS FOR FAMILIES AND INDIVIDUALS. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports taxes assessed on a fair basis; corporations and wealthy individuals should be taxed at a rate that is commensurate with the success that the US economy has allowed them.
- We support the passing of the State Constitutional amendment that removes the cap on mining taxation.
- We support the closing of tax loopholes that allow corporations to pay lower taxes than middle class families.
- We support making all earned income subject to Social Security taxes.
Supports revenue collection high enough to fully fund the local, state, and federal government, including education funding.
- We believe no worthwhile government program should suffer cuts as a result of the failure to collect sufficient tax revenue.
- We support the collection of revenue for the full funding of fundamental public services, including but not limited to education, environmental protection, law enforcement, public housing, social services, and public transportation.
- We support an amendment to the Nevada Constitution allowing for the passage of tax increases with only a simple majority vote in the legislature.
- We support the passage of a tax increase that adds much needed funding to Nevada schools.
FAMILY, HEALTH, & WELFARE
EVERY PERSON HAS A RIGHT TO AFFORDABLE, QUALITY HEALTH CARE; ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE HOUSING; AND A HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports families and community through strengthening social programs and community services.
- We support the expansion of FMLA to include employees of smaller companies.
- We support subsidizing quality and affordable day care for working families, including after-school programs and enrichment programs that offer a safe environment for children.
- We support the continued funding and improvement of vital social programs, such as rent support, low-income housing, food stamps, SCHIP, and Medicaid.
- We support housing programs that eliminate barriers to housing for all individuals including the homeless, elderly, disabled, and low-income populations.
- We support programs that benefit homeless Nevadans.
Supports a health care system that ensures quality, affordable health care for all.
- We support Nevada’s continued participation in the Affordable Care Act.
- We support mental health parity as part of any health care plan so coverage of mental illness is provided on the same terms as other illnesses and diseases.
- We support continued funding for HIV and AIDS prevention, education, research, health care, and counseling.
- We support increasing the availability of medical treatment in rural areas and underserved areas.
- We support universal screening programs for infants for disabling or life-threatening conditions and re-screening for young children for developmental disorders.
- We support increased funding for medical research, including stem cell research.
- We support lowering the nurse/patient ratio to meet nationally recommended nursing standards.
Supports women’s healthcare and reproductive freedom, including the constitutional right to privacy and reproductive freedom of choice established in the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision of Roe vs. Wade and affirmed in Nevada Revised Statutes, Sec. 442.50.
- We support requiring that insurance companies cover a full range of reproductive health care, including coverage for birth control and fertility treatments.
- We support state and federal funding for reproductive health providers including funding to organizations such as Planned Parenthood under Title X.
- We support providing pre- and post-natal care for all pregnant women and their infants.
- We oppose medically unnecessary obstacles to women obtaining reproductive health care, including contraception and abortions.
- We oppose misleading so-called “personhood” ballot initiatives designed to ban all abortions, including in cases of rape or incest, and other vital women’s health services by granting legal protections to fertilized eggs, embryos and fetuses.
Supports veterans’ healthcare and benefits programs.
- We urge the Government to fully fund the Veteran’s Administration.
- We support expanding veteran’s health and assistance programs, including psychological, psychiatric, prosthetic, rehabilitative, and job placement programs, particularly focusing on programs for veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
- We support complete medical services for the active military, veterans, reservists, guard members, and their families.
THE FUTURE OF OUR NATION RESTS WITH OUR CHILDREN AND THEIR ABILITY TO FIND WORK THAT WILL PROVIDE A MIDDLE CLASS INCOME AND TEACH THEM TO BE PRODUCTIVE MEMBERS OF SOCIETY. NO BETTER TOOL EXISTS FOR SECURING THIS FUTURE THAN TO GUARANTEE A FREE QUALITY EDUCATION FOR EVERY CHILD BEGINNING WITH PRE-SCHOOL AND ENDING WITH HIGHER EDUCATION OR VOCATIONAL TRAINING. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY BELIEVES THAT ALL CHILDREN SHOULD HAVE EQUAL ACCESS TO A FREE, QUALITY PUBLIC EDUCATION. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports fully investing in K-12 education.
- We support the development and implementation of a new funding formula for fairness in funding for K-12 education in Nevada.
- We support investing in our future and saving taxpayer dollars by fully investing in early childhood education including Head Start, Full Day Kindergarten, reading readiness programs and child nutrition programs
- We believe homeless and transient children should be able to register for a home school and be provided with transportation to that school in order to facilitate their ability to graduate from high school, despite their unstable circumstances.
- We support the ability of runaway children to register for school without parental information or consent, if they believe their life, health or safety is threatened.
- We reaffirm teaching a curriculum for K through 12 that includes economics, state, U.S. and world history, geography, arts education, and early foreign language teaching.
- We support one-hour daily physical activity daily for all students.
- We oppose any effort to censor or re-write American history through selective textbook writings, including any effort to impose religious doctrine on students.
- We support a longer school day in order to enrich the current curricula.
- We support public funding for remedial summer school.
- We support the funding of quality, nutritious and balanced school breakfast and lunch programs for all children, with adequate time to eat.
- We oppose privatizing any element of public education.
- We support funding of mentoring programs for new teachers and principals.
- We support funding for school districts to pay teachers for extra teaching time. Teachers should also receive a comparable amount of paid preparation time in the event that the school day is extended.
- We support comprehensive, medically accurate, age-appropriate sex education in publicly funded Nevada schools.
- We reject the Common Core education standards which serve to punish children and their teachers in our underfunded schools.
Supports fully investing in a strong university and college system that allows all qualified high school graduates to get a quality college education without incurring crippling debt.
- We support the development and implementation of a new funding formula for the long-term health of higher education in Nevada.
- We support legislation to fund the university and community college system at a level sufficient for excellent education without increasing tuition.
- We support the founding and funding of a medical school in Southern Nevada.
ELECTIONS and GOVERNMENT ETHICS
DEMOCRACY IN OUR STATE AND NATION DEPENDS UPON FAIR AND FREE ELECTIONS. WE BELIEVE THAT GOVERNMENT SHOULD OPERATE IN AN ETHICAL MANNER WITHOUT UNDUE INFLUENCE FROM VESTED FINANCIAL OR IDEOLOGICAL INTERESTS. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports the protection of voter rights so that qualified voters are not denied the opportunity to cast their votes.
- We support legislation that eliminates inequities in the voting process by mandating equal voter access in the designation of polling places and facilities; regulates the distribution and type of voting machines; and provides for same day registration. We support legislation protecting permanent early voting sites and days to allow all voters to exercise their rights to vote.
- We support legislation requiring registration and intention of Political Action Committees to be transparent and clearly identified.
- We support amending the US Constitution to provide for election of the President by popular vote.
Supports the highest ethical standards for all public officials and full transparency and accountability for all local, county, and state government and elected representatives, regardless of their political party or affiliation. We further support comprehensive campaign finance reform that eliminates corruption and provides for full transparency in financing political campaigns.
- We support an amendment to the US Constitution declaring that corporate political contributions do not constitute any form of protected speech.
- We support an amendment to the US Constitution that restricts corporations’ ability to spend unlimited funds on political campaign ads.
- We support continuing the ban on registered lobbyists on the floor of the Nevada Legislature.
ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT, AND LAND USE
THE FUTURE OF OUR NATION AND OUR STATE DEPEND ON AN ENERGY POLICY THAT WILL PROVIDE ENERGY INDEPENDENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY, PROTECT OUR ENVIRONMENT, PRESERVE OUR LANDS, AND PROVIDE FOR THE HEALTH AND ECONOMIC WELL-BEING OF OUR PRESENT AND FUTURE CITIZENS. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports an energy policy that leads to energy independence by promoting conservation and the development of renewable resources in an environmentally sound manner. We further support Nevada as an international leader in the research, development, education, and production of green energy.
- We support Nevada legislative action to require that all new public buildings meet the highest energy environmental design standards, and develop a plan for the conversion of existing public buildings to meet those standards.
- We support providing incentives for existing power plants in Nevada that exceed the clean energy standards by designated dates.
- We support a plan for Nevada to assume a leadership role in clean energy production by reducing the use of fossil fuels.
- We support focusing the Office of Economic Development on the recruitment and retention of green businesses to Nevada.
- We support the opportunity to recycle for all business and individuals.
- We support a total ban on fracking.
Supports a water resource management policy that promotes conservation, sound impact analysis, and the management of the waters of the State in a manner that provides sustainable water supplies for future generations.
- We call for federal, state, and local governments to assess all regional and local environmental and socioeconomic impacts resulting from inter-basin transfers of water from rural to urban areas.
- We urge State agencies to revise and update water and drought plans and identify, assess and aggressively pursue new technologies that will protect our water resources.
Supports municipal, county, state, and national action to assess and prepare for the consequences of climate change, regardless of the cause.
- We support local government in taking steps to reduce air emissions, promote conservation, develop mass transit, and provide educational programs.
- We urge Congress and the President to take immediate action to reduce the contribution of our nation to climate change, and to take a leadership role in addressing a critical worldwide issue.
Opposes the transportation and disposal of high-level nuclear waste in the State.
- We urge all state agencies and elected representatives to continue to vigorously oppose the licensing, construction, and operation of Yucca Mountain as a waste repository.
- We urge the Governor to designate the Nevada Test Site a Superfund Site.
Supports land use management policies that provide for the retention of wilderness areas, recreational opportunities, wildlife, woodland, water resource protection, and land.
- We support the continued evaluation of wilderness study areas and their timely designation as either suitable for wilderness area or multiple use management.
- We support the legislature to designate a state network of bicycle, equestrian and non-motorized trails and to provide funds for the construction and maintenance of this network.
- We support the cooperation of local, state, and federal agencies to designate and develop specific areas for the use of off highway vehicles.
THE GREATNESS OF AMERICA IS BUILT ON THE HARD WORK AND DEDICATION OF ITS WORKERS. A FAILURE TO PROTECT OUR WORKERS IS A FAILURE TO PROTECT OUR NATION AND OURSELVES. PROTECTING THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF ALL WORKERS INCLUDING A WORKERS BILL OF RIGHTS AND THE RIGHT OF COLLECTIVE BARGAINING IS CRITICAL TO PRESERVING AN AMERICA THAT IS STRONG AND DEMOCRATIC. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports the right to organize with collective bargaining and binding arbitration including all public workers.
- We support collective bargaining and binding arbitration for all public employees with legislation that would require non-members of the bargaining units to provide payment to the bargaining agent if those non-members benefit directly from the negotiated agreements.
- We support calling on employers to acknowledge the rights of employees to organize. Additionally, we support calling on employers to negotiate fairly with those workers.
- We oppose any legislation that seeks to weaken the power of our unions.
Supports a living wage and fair compensation and benefits for all workers.
- We support efforts to eliminate poverty by increasing the minimum wage to at least $10.10, and linking the minimum wage to the Consumer Price Index.
- We support the elimination of withholding taxes on unemployment compensation.
- We support additional funding for the workers compensation system in Nevada so that benefits will be distributed sooner and in increased amounts.
- We support the protection of federal Davis-Bacon Act, the federal law that protects prevailing wages, and Nevada’s own “Little Davis-Bacon” law.
- We support legislation that would prevent companies from misclassifying workers as independent contractors, keeping employees in continued part-time status, or firing workers in order to avoid paying benefits.
- We support legislation that establishes a six month residency requirement for workers employed on tax payer funded or subsidized jobs in an effort to keep Nevada money in the state.
Supports protecting workers from an unsafe working environment.
- We support efforts to fully fund the Nevada Division of Occupational, Safety, and Health Agency and the Mine Safety and Health Agency.
- We support requiring skilled labor training and certification for all crafts performing life threatening activities, preventing potential loss of life, and or injury to self and others.
CONSUMER AFFAIRS and ECONOMIC JUSTICE
IT IS THE GOVERNMENT’S RESPONSIBILITY TO PROMOTE CAPITALISM; PROTECT THE CONSUMER AND THE WORKER; PROMOTE FAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES; AND PROVIDE FOR THE PUBLIC GOOD. THEREFORE, THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY:
Supports economic justice for all.
- We support sustainable trade policies that create living wage jobs here and abroad.
- We support eliminating laws, policies and tax subsidies that help companies take jobs overseas.
- We support adequately funding education, social services, health services and infrastructure, to make Nevada a national leader by 2020.
- We support policies that ensure that businesses cover the true social and environmental costs of their products and services instead of shifting the costs to the community or future generations.
Supports regulation of free markets and commerce to ensure business owners are treated fairly.
- We support effective government policies to foster small business.
- We support public policies that level the playing field for all Nevada businesses including equitable taxes and regulation; fair and equal access to capital; and support for business innovation and technology.
- We support the creation of business incubators and mentoring opportunities for minority owned business.
Supports consumer rights to safe products, equitable dealings, and fair prices.
- We support the reinstatement of usury laws in the State of Nevada to protect consumers from predatory loan practices.
- We support steps to guarantee safety of all domestic and imported products sold in U.S. markets.
- We support laws that bar businesses and other organizations from collecting and selling consumers’ personal information.
- We support increased research and regulation on all genetically modified foods to ensure safety for humans, animals, and the environment.