2016 CLARK COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY PLATFORM
Adopted April 2, 2016
Diversity and inclusion are the greatest strengths of our nation and our party. We support inclusion and freedom for individuals including equal respect, equal rights, and equal protection under the law. We Support equal rights for all people without regard to gender, color, age, race, national origin, legal status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Therefore:
- We support affirmative action.
- We support the inherent rights of indigenous peoples to maintain cultural autonomy in their economy, sovereignty, religion, language, customs and land holdings.
- We believe that equality of rights shall not be denied or abridged on account of gender.
- We support the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment in both the state and national constitutions.
- We support the protection of marriage equality for all.
- We support equal treatment under the law for the LGBTQI* community.
- We oppose the segregation and discrimination of transgender individuals, of all ages, in all public facilities.
- We believe in the need for equality for all people with regard to public accommodations and in public spaces, including increased accessibility for disabled persons.
- We oppose torture in any form.
- We support the separation of church and state as envisioned by our founding fathers and incorporated in the constitution of the United States.
- We support permanently closing the detention center at Guantanamo Bay.
We support common sense comprehensive immigration reform.
- We support comprehensive immigration reform that keeps families together and provides an affordable pathway to citizenship for undocumented individuals and their families.
- We support the use of executive action to ensure families are not torn apart by deportation including the DACA and DAPA programs, until Congress enacts comprehensive immigration reform.
- We support strong border security, but oppose the use or endorsement of unregulated, or unsanctioned militia-style groups to patrol our borders.
- We support providing the judicial system, including law enforcement officers, with the flexibility to implement humane immigration programs.
- We support every immigrant being able to attain driving privileges and in-state tuition rates, regardless of their status.
- We oppose inhumane treatment in detention centers.
- We oppose building of an impractical and cost-prohibitive border wall.
COMMUNITY, HEALTH, & WELFARE
We Support families and communities through strengthening social programs and community services. EVERY PERSON HAS A RIGHT TO AFFORDABLE, QUALITY HEALTH CARE; ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE HOUSING; AND A SAFE AND HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT. We oppose the privatization of core and public services and support responsible, transparent, targeted spending that prepares our country for the future. THEREFORE:
- We support the continued funding and improvement of vital social programs, such as rent support, low-income housing, food stamps, SCHIP, Medicare, and Medicaid.
- We support a review of the Foster Care system and finding ways to support young people who are aging out of the system.
- We support a family judicial system that is non-discriminative regarding child custody decisions.
- We support programs that eliminate barriers to housing for all individuals including, but not limited to; the homeless, elderly, disabled, and low-to middle income populations.
- We support the rights of, and programs that benefit, homeless Nevadans, especially our most vulnerable populations; seniors, youth, the disabled, and veterans.
- We support programs that provide much needed relief for Nevada’s homeowners still struggling with the housing crisis.
- We support expanding programs aimed at first-time home ownership, which does not include predatory lending.
- We support the development of more diverse affordable housing options,
We support investing in Nevada’s infrastructure. A robust transportation system is necessary for prosperity and commerce in Nevada. By committing to update our roads, highways, bridges, and other transportation projects, we can invest in the future, create jobs, and increase efficiency in our economy.
- We support an increase in federal investment dedicated to safe active transportation networks.
- We support integrating health, environmental, efficiency, and safety concerns into transportation decisions.
- We support improving and expanding access to alternative transportation that includes, but is not limited to; bicycling, walking, and public transit infrastructure, and light rail.
- We support extending the Fuel Tax Revenue Indexing for Clark County.
- We support the continued development of Interstate 11 through State of Nevada.
- We support the creation of new and expanded roadway infrastructure to reduce traffic congestion as the top priority of the Nevada Department of Transportation.
- The efficient expansion of public transportation.
- The establishment of high speed rail between California and Northern Nevada in order to increase tourism and commerce.
- We support the use of rail for long distance freight hauls.
We support the belief that every American deserves a secure, healthy, and dignified retirement. Social Security is a promise that’s been kept for generations; making it financially sound for current and future generations should be a top priority.
- We support ensuring that a retirement with dignity is the right and expectation of every single American, starting with pension reform, expanding saving incentives, and preventing the privatization of social security.
- We recognize that Americans rely on more than just Social Security for a secure and dignified retirement; therefore we will continue to fight for genuine pension reform that protects employees’ financial security from future abuse.
- We oppose the Cost-of-Living Adjustments that are tied to chained CPI.
We support a health care system that ensures quality, affordable health care for all.
- We support the full implementation of the Affordable Care Act both in Nevada and across the country. We further support the transition to universal single-payer healthcare and the immediate option for any citizen to buy into Medicare.
- We support improving access to services through Medicare and Medicaid programs, including dental and vision services.
- We support adding prescription drug benefits to Medicare and requiring drug manufacturers to provide rebates for low-income Medicare enrollees equivalent to the rebates offered to Medicaid enrollees.
- We support requiring health insurers to cap monthly covered, out-of-pocket drug expenses.
- We support the Prescription Drug Affordability Act of 2015and urge Congress to pass it.
- We support mental health parity as part of any health care plan so coverage of mental illness is provided on the same terms as other illnesses and diseases.
- We support an increase in funding for mental health services and family support as well as improving access to mental health awareness and education services.
- We support continued funding for HIV and AIDS prevention, education, research, health care, and counseling.
- We support increasing the availability of medical treatment in rural and underserved areas.
- We support universal screening programs for infants for disabling or life-threatening conditions, as well as re-screening for young children for developmental disorders.
- We support increased funding for medical research, including stem cell research.
- We support lowering the nurse/patient ratio to meet nationally recommended nursing standards.
- We support increasing funding for home and community based services that provide for direct-care services for elderly and indigent patients.
- We believe that caregivers and home care workers deserve a living wage.
- We support inclusive health care coverage for the LGBTQI* community.
- We support strengthening childhood obesity regulations and policies.
- We support funding for public health services equal to the national average.
We support women’s healthcare and reproductive freedom, including the constitutional right to privacy and reproductive freedom of choice established in the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision of Roe vs. Wade and affirmed in Nevada Revised Statutes, Sec. 442.50.
- We support the right to access affordable, quality healthcare, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, immigration status, or income.
- We support requiring that insurance companies cover a full range of reproductive health care, including coverage for birth control and fertility treatments.
- We support state and federal funding for reproductive health providers including funding to organizations such as Planned Parenthood under Title X.
- We support providing pre- and post-natal care for all pregnant women and their infants.
- We oppose medically unnecessary obstacles to women obtaining reproductive health care, including contraception and abortions.
- We oppose misleading so-called “personhood” ballot initiatives designed to ban all abortions, including in cases of rape or incest, and other vital women’s health services by granting legal protections to fertilized eggs, embryos and fetuses.
- We oppose parental notification requirements that put an unnecessary burden on young people to access reproductive health services.
- We support students’ privacy in public schools and oppose any restrictions on a student’s ability to express their gender, including restrictions on a student’s right to use the bathroom or locker room based on the gender they identify with.
- We support making training available to medical students in the full spectrum of reproductive healthcare, including the provision of abortion services.
CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORMS
WE support a criminal justice system that promotes accountable and transparent policing, increased educational services for law enforcement and tangential service providers, unbiased prosecution, fair sentencing, safe prisons, and comprehensive rehabilitation to help released prisoners become productive members of society. Therefore:
- We oppose profiling citizens based on their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, origin, or socio-economic status.
- We support the use of body cameras on all peace officers, including correctional officers.
- We support increased law enforcement training and educational services that is culturally proficient in order to reduce police brutality and institutional racism.
- We support hiring peace officers that reflect the diversity of the communities that they serve.
- We support local and state programs offering solutions to gang violence and alternatives to juvenile incarceration for minor offenses.
- We support reporting of statistics on arrest-related injuries or deaths occurring while in police custody.
- We support the legalization of marijuana, use for all adults and the legalization of the growth, manufacturing, and sale of marijuana and hemp products, including the ballot initiative that will appear on Nevada’s 2016 ballot legalizing marijuana.
- We believe that sentencing reform is needed for people serving jail time, now, in the future, or those previously convicted of nonviolent marijuana related offenses.
- We support legislation that prohibits overcharging alleged offenders, a practice used to force plea bargains and gain convictions.
- We support racial and gender neutral sentencing.
- We support continuing or instituting citizen oversight review boards for the District Attorney, police, parole, prisons, and social services.
- We support flexible forms of sentencing for non-violent offenders, so that they can continue to provide for themselves and their dependents, reducing the cost to society.
- We support the maintenance and expansion of Veterans Courts.
- We oppose the privatization of jails and prisons and law enforcement programs and activities driven by profits or income support.
- We support the expansion of paid work, educational, counseling and recreational programs, both in and out of the institutional setting.
- We oppose capital punishment.
- We support an immediate moratorium on all executions until such legislation has been enacted.
We support programs that help victims of crime.
- We support increased funding of intervention, education, counseling, medical services, mental health services, and shelter services for victims of crimes including, but not limited to; child abuse, elder abuse, domestic abuse, sexual abuse, victims of sex trafficking.
- We support violence prevention programs and anti-bullying programs in all public, private, and charter schools.
- We support ending the rape kit backlog in Nevada, and the entire United States.
- We support efficient and accurate counting, tracking, and timely testing of every kit booked into evidence as well as accountability of our law enforcement agencies in order to ensure that our rape kit testing backlog never reoccurs.
We support common sense gun safety regulations and gun violence prevention. With great rights comes great responsibility:
- We support the right to bear arms in a responsible manner.
- We support outlawing guns on college campuses and keeping guns out of public and government buildings.
- We support technology aimed at keeping children safe and ensuring that firearms are stored safely in gun owners homes.
- We support efforts to reduce gun violence, including the ballot initiative that will appear on Nevada’s 2016 ballot requiring background checks on all gun sales.
- We oppose any efforts by the Nevada Legislature to make it easier for dangerous people like domestic abusers, violent criminals, and the dangerously mentally ill to have easier access to weapons.
- We support strict standards on reciprocity laws in Nevada that protect our families and visitors.
- We support reporting gun injuries and deaths as community health problems and keeping statistics and studying those statistics as a public health issue.
THE FUTURE OF OUR NATION RESTS WITH OUR CHILDREN AND THEIR ABILITY TO FIND WORK THAT WILL PROVIDE AT LEAST A MIDDLE CLASS INCOME AND TEACH THEM TO BE PRODUCTIVE MEMBERS OF SOCIETY. NO BETTER TOOL EXISTS FOR SECURING THIS FUTURE THAN TO GUARANTEE A FREE QUALITY EDUCATION FOR EVERY CHILD BEGINNING WITH PRE-SCHOOL AND ENDING WITH HIGHER EDUCATION OR VOCATIONAL TRAINING. All children in Nevada deserve the opportunity to succeed from a young age. Therefore:
We believe that all children should have equal access to a free, high quality public education and supports fully investing in pre-K-12 education.
- We support the development and implementation of a new funding formula that is equitable for funding for pre-K-12 education in Nevada, regardless of location.
- We support increasing education funding to at least the national average.
- We support fully investing in pre-K education including Head Start, Full Day Kindergarten, reading readiness programs, and child nutrition programs.
- We support further investment in pre-K-12 ELL programs.
- We support an increase in special education funding for any schools who receive public funds.
- We oppose privatizing any element of public education.
- We oppose any public funding of private educational institutions, including voucher/scholarship programs or any other system that segregates students, purposefully or not, based on race, religion or income.
- We oppose any attempt to break up or reorganize any school district in the State of Nevada.
- We support teaching a curriculum for pre-K-12 that includes economics, state, U.S. and world history, geography, arts education, and foreign language teaching.
- We support full integration of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art/Design, and Mathematics) education in the pre-K-12 curriculum in order to prepare students for 21st century jobs.
- We support the creation of specialized learning academies/schools with union apprenticeship programs or industrial partnerships.
- We support an investment in new learning materials, when appropriate, in all Nevada classrooms; to ensure curriculum and information is in line with the technological advancements of the 21st
- We oppose any effort to censor or re-write American history through selective textbook writings, including any effort to impose religious doctrine on students.
- We oppose rigid curriculum standards that emphasize a one-size-fits-all approach to learning.
- We support a longer school day/longer school year in order to enrich the current curricula.
- We support a minimum of one-hour daily physical activity for all students.
- We support public funding for remedial summer school.
- We support the funding of quality, nutritious and balanced school breakfast and lunch programs for all children, with adequate time to eat.
- We support medically accurate, inclusive, consent-based, and developmentally appropriate sexual education in publicly funded Nevada schools.
- We believe homeless and transient children should be able to register for a home school and be provided with transportation to that school in order to facilitate their ability to graduate from high school, despite their unstable circumstances.
- We support the ability of runaway children to register for school without parental information or consent, if they believe their life, health or safety is threatened.
We support public educators and support staff.
- We support increasing the pay and benefit package, that is competitive with the regional/national averages, for our teachers and support staff.
- We support making high quality professional development programs available for all education professionals throughout their careers.
- We support a system of peer assistance and review to support our educators and improve instructions for students.
- We oppose any system of using student test scores to determine teacher evaluation and retentions.
- We support funding of mentoring programs for new teachers and principals.
- We support funding for school districts to pay teachers for extra teaching time. Teachers should also receive a comparable amount of paid preparation time in the event that the school day is extended.
- We support increasing compensation to teachers and support staff for all supplies used in the classroom that come out of their own pocket.
- We support lowering the teacher to student ratio to a manageable size that allows teachers sufficient time with each student.
- We support all efforts to protect pre-K-12 students from sexual misconduct from teachers, staff, and other adults on campus, as well as other students.
We support fully investing in a strong university and college system that allows all qualified high school graduates to get a quality college education without incurring crippling debt.
- We support the development and implementation of a new funding formula that is equitable for higher education across Nevada.
- We support legislation to fund the university and community college system at a level sufficient for excellent education without increasing tuition.
- We support continued funding of the Millennium Scholarship Fund for Nevada’s students.
- We support the continued investment in the development of the medical school in Southern Nevada.
- We support the availability of no-cost higher education options.
- We support non-predatory, creative refinancing, income-based repayment, and restructuring or forgiveness programs to help students avoid and escape crushing student loan debt.
- We support paying a living wage to Adjunct Professors and their ability to form and join a union or collective bargaining unit.
- We support the establishment of fully functional online degree programs at all public colleges and universities in Nevada that will enable veterans and military families to better utilize GI Bill and Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Programs.
ELECTIONS, VOTING RIGHTS & GOVERNMENT ETHICS
DEMOCRACY IN OUR STATE AND NATION DEPENDS UPON FAIR AND FREE ELECTIONS. WE BELIEVE THAT GOVERNMENT SHOULD OPERATE IN AN ETHICAL MANNER WITHOUT UNDUE INFLUENCE FROM VESTED FINANCIAL OR IDEOLOGICAL INTERESTS. THEREFORE:
We support the protection of voter rights so that qualified voters are not denied the opportunity to cast their votes.
- We support eliminating inequities in the voting process by mandating equal voter access in the designation of polling places and facilities; regulating the distribution and type of voting machines; and providing for same day registration using a secure electronic system.
- We support modernizing our election system through measures such as digitizing Election Day poll books.
- We support protecting permanent early voting sites, across racial and socio-economic boundaries, as well as maintaining the 14 days of Early Vote which allow all voters to exercise their rights to vote.
- We support “permanent and portable” voter registration tracking system that follows voters as they move.
- We support increasing absentee ballot access.
- We support increased access to electronic and Braille ballots in order to ensure that disabled individuals can fully participate in the process and exercise their right to vote.
- We oppose any efforts to gerrymander Nevada’s political district lines.
- We support continued pre-voter registration for 17 year olds.
- We support expanding and improving online voter registration.
- We support automatic voter registration when you turn 18.
- We support restoring voting rights to convicted felons.
- We support a robust digital voter registration process for all public agencies.
- We support defending, restoring, and enhancing the Voting Rights Act.
- We oppose onerous and burdensome photo ID requirements for voting and/or any other efforts aimed at voter suppression.
- We support making Election Day a state/national holiday.
We support the highest ethical standards for all public officials and full transparency and accountability for all local, county, and state government and elected representatives, regardless of their political party or affiliation.
- We support amending Nevada’s Constitution in order to have a full time legislature that can effectively address the needs of a growing and prosperous state.
- We support continuing the ban on registered lobbyists on the floor of the Nevada Legislature.
- We support amending the Nevada Constitution to remove the 2/3 majority requirement for enacting any revenue, spending, or taxation laws.
- We support amending the US Constitution to provide for election of the President by popular vote.
- We support having a fully-staffed federal judiciary.
- We support diversity of thought and background to our federal courts through the appointment of qualified justices.
- We oppose any efforts to delay justice for Americans in the judicial process simply because of partisan bickering and we oppose efforts to stop all procedural delays and obstruction in the judicial confirmation process.
- We support holding both elected and appointed government officials fully accountable for violation of laws and regulations.
- We support the appointment of a bi-partisan Nevada State Inspector General and Deputy Inspector General, with full subpoena power and law enforcement authority, in order to investigate and hold government agencies fully accountable for fraud, waste, abuse, and misconduct.
We further support comprehensive campaign finance reform that seeks to eliminate corruption and provides for full transparency in financing political campaigns. We oppose the Citizens United decision and believe that corporations are not people and money is not speech.
- We support campaign finance reform and public funding of elections.
- We support full, complete, and timely public disclosure laws for all sources of political contributions for all candidates and elected officials for any local, state, or federal office.
- We support a Federal Constitutional Amendment, and Nevada’s ratification, confirming Congress’ right to ensure fair and honest elections by curtailing the excessive influence of money in politics.
- We support requiring Political Action Committees to registrar, be clearly identified, fully identify donors, and declare their intention publically in order to ensure transparency.
We support bold regulatory reform is necessary for economic growth. While it is important to ensure that the industries that provide service to Nevadans are properly regulated to ensure the safety of the general public, regulatory agencies, laws, and regulations.
- We support reforming the appointment process for all regulatory commissions in order to ensure that the voices of the people are heard.
- We support that all regulatory commissions follow Open Meeting law.
ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT, AND LAND USE
THE FUTURE OF OUR NATION AND OUR STATE DEPEND ON AN ENERGY POLICY THAT WILL PROVIDE ENERGY INDEPENDENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY, PROTECT OUR ENVIRONMENT, PRESERVE OUR LANDS, AND PROVIDE FOR THE HEALTH AND ECONOMIC WELL-BEING OF OUR PRESENT AND FUTURE CITIZENS. THEREFORE:
We support promoting conservation and the development of renewable resources in an environmentally sound manner.
- We support Nevada becoming an international leader in the research, development, education, and production of green energy.
- We support diversifying Nevada’s economy by investing in the clean renewable energy industry and bringing these jobs to Nevada.
- We support an increase in the use of solar technology and the ability to have solar panels on your private residence and making roof-top solar power more affordable.
- We support users being able to sell the power they produce back to the grid.
- We support allowing consumers to choose their own energy source and support equitable treatment of home owners and business owners who invest in and install roof-top solar.
- We support the expansion of solar energy options performed in a cost-effective and balanced manner as to not pass the burden of investment on to all consumers..
- We support regulating the installation and maintenance of roof-top solar panels in order to ensure that the technology is installed safely and reliably by unionized, licensed, skilled, and knowledge Nevada workers.
- We support Nevada legislative action to require that all new public buildings meet the highest energy environmental design standards, and develop a plan for the conversion of existing public buildings to meet those standards.
We support municipal, county, state, and national action to assess and prepare for the consequences of climate change, regardless of the cause.
- We support local government in taking steps to reduce air emissions, promote conservation, develop mass transit, and provide educational programs aimed at reducing our carbon footprint and eliminating our dependence on fossil fuels.
- We support President Obama’s efforts to combat climate change via the Clean Power Plan.
- We support increasing renewable energy production in Nevada and the United States.
- We support providing incentives for existing power plants in Nevada that exceed the clean energy standards by designated dates.
- We support focusing the Office of Economic Development on the recruitment and retention of green businesses to Nevada.
- We support the opportunity to recycle for all business and individuals.
- We support holding companies responsible for clean-up cost, including long-term costs, due to pollution.
- We oppose the process of “fracking” within the State of Nevada.
- We support full-disclosure laws regarding the chemicals used-in, or left-over from, the extractive process.
- We support a scientifically-based public education campaign on climate change.
We support a water resource management policy that promotes conservation, sound impact analysis, and the management of the waters of the State in a manner that provides sustainable water supplies for future generations.
- We support water conservation efforts.
- We oppose inter-basin water transfers, and encourage a federal investment in order to lower the cost of desalination.
We oppose the transportation and disposal of high-level nuclear waste in the State.
- We urge all state agencies and elected representatives to continue to vigorously oppose the licensing, construction, and operation of Yucca Mountain as a nuclear waste repository.
- We urge the federal government to designate the Nevada Test Site a Superfund Site.
We support land use management policies that provide for the retention of wilderness areas, recreational opportunities, wildlife, woodland, water resource protection, and land.
- We support keeping public lands in public hands.
- We support biologically sound, ethical, and sustainable land management policies, and adequate funding for the agencies that manage Nevada’s lands.
- We support Native Americans being included in the process of any public lands that are sold or designated a special place.
- We support the permanent protection of Gold Butte.
- We support the legislature to designate a state network of bicycle, equestrian and non-motorized trails and to provide funds for the construction and maintenance of this network.
- We support the cooperation of local, state, and federal agencies to designate and develop specific areas for the use of off highway vehicles.
- We oppose animal cruelty.
LABOR, WORKING FAMILIES, ECONOMIC JUSTICE & JOB SECURITY
We support protecting the fundamental rights of all workers because Nevada, and rest of America, is built by hard working and dedicated individuals. A failure to protect and support our workers is a failure to protect and support our nation and ourselves. It is the government’s responsibility to promote capitalism; protect consumers and workers; promote fair business practices; and provide for the public good. Therefore:
- We support collective bargaining and binding arbitration for all public and state employees with legislation that would require non-members of the bargaining units to provide payment to the bargaining agent if those non-members benefit directly from the negotiated agreements.
- We support a worker’s right to form and join a union without employer retaliation.
- We oppose any legislation that seeks to weaken the power of our unions.
- We support calling on employers to acknowledge the rights of employees to organize. Additionally, we support calling on employers to negotiate fairly with those workers and enforce collective bargaining agreements or applicable state/federal labor laws.
- We support strengthening prevailing wage standards and the protection of Project Labor Agreements.
- We support strengthening private and public pensions, including Nevada PERS.
- We oppose the privatization of Nevada PERS; including but not limited to changing it from a defined benefit to a defined contribution.
- We oppose wage and benefit theft through the misclassification of workers as independent contractors and the creation of “permanent-part-time” positions.
- We support paid parental, family, and medical leave, regardless of the size of the company.
- We support access to high quality, affordable child care for all families, including early learning and afterschool programs, which provide a safe and educational program to children whose parent, or guardians, are actively participating in the work force.
- We believe is it imperative that child care workers are compensated fairly and have a voice in the funding-planning process.
- We support strong labor protections for domestic workers and farm workers.
- We support equal pay for equal work, regardless of gender or race.
- We support protecting and granting paid release time for Union Advocates.
- We support the elimination of the tax exemption for companies, or their sub-contractors, who employ non-resident, non-union workers..
We support a living wage and fair compensation and benefits for all workers; every Nevadan deserves a fair shot at the American Dream.
- We support efforts to eliminate poverty by increasing the minimum wage to a living wage and linking the minimum wage to the Consumer Price Index.
- We support making unemployment compensation tax exempt.
- We support additional funding for the workers compensation system in Nevada so that benefits will be distributed sooner and in increased amounts.
- We support the protection of federal Davis-Bacon Act, the federal law that protects prevailing wages, and Nevada’s own “Little Davis-Bacon” law.
- We support the establishment of a six month residency requirement for workers employed on tax payer funded or subsidized jobs in an effort to keep Nevada money in the state.
We support protecting workers from an unsafe working environment.
- We support efforts to fully fund the Nevada Division of Occupational, Safety, and Health Agency and the Mine Safety and Health Agency.
- We support requiring skilled labor training and certification for all crafts performing life threatening activities, preventing potential loss of life, and or injury to self and others.
We support economic justice for all.
- We support a revised tax code that is progressive, fair, and closes corporate loopholes.
- We oppose the Trans Pacific Partnership and other trade agreements, programs, or incentives that encourage companies to outsource and offshore their jobs and profits.
- We support adequately funding education, social services, health services and infrastructure, to make Nevada a national leader by 2020.
- We support policies that ensure that businesses cover the true social and environmental costs of their products and services instead of shifting the costs to the community or future generations.
We support regulation of markets and commerce to ensure business owners are treated fairly.
- We support effective government policies to foster small business.
- We support public policies that level the playing field for all Nevada businesses including equitable taxes and regulation; fair and equal access to capital; and support for business innovation and technology regardless of size.
- We support the creation of business incubators and mentoring opportunities for minority, veteran, and female owned business.
We support consumer rights to safe products, equitable dealings, and fair prices.
- We support the reinstatement of usury laws in the State of Nevada to protect consumers.
- We oppose predatory loan practices and support limits on the interest rates for all loan instruments.
- We support steps to guarantee safety of all domestic and imported products sold in U.S. markets.
- We support laws that bar businesses and other organizations from collecting and selling consumers’ personal information.
- We support net neutrality and ensuring that the Internet remains a space for the open exchange of ideas and information, free of discrimination and corporate control.
- We support increased research and regulation on all genetically modified foods to ensure safety for humans, animals, and the environment.
TAXES, REVENUE, AND SPENDING
We support taxes assessed on a fair basis. Corporations and wealthy individuals should pay their fair share in order to provide funding for programs that support success for Nevada’s families and individuals. We also recognize that Capitalism can only function with fair, regulated, and transparent markets. Therefore:
- We support the closing of tax loopholes that allow corporations to pay lower taxes than middle class families.
- We support reinstating and strengthening of Glass-Steagall.
- We support strengthening the regulation of Wall Street and big banks; prohibiting any special treatment of too-big-to-fail institutions; and giving regulators more authority to force overly complex or risky firms to reorganize, downsize, or break apart.
- We support to the removal of the cap on Social Security taxes.
- We support full and immediate funding of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and agencies in charge of regulating commodities speculation and financial markets.
- We support the removal of the cap on mining taxation in Nevada.
We support revenue collection sufficient to fully fund the local, state, and federal government, including education funding. We believe no worthwhile government program should suffer cuts as a result of the failure to collect sufficient tax revenue.
- We support the collection of revenue for the full funding of fundamental public services, including but not limited to education, environmental protection, law enforcement, veterans and military families, public housing, social services, and public transportation.
- We support finding additional sources of revenue in order to continue the much needed funding increases to Nevada schools.
VETERANS, NATIONAL DEFENSE, AND MILITARY FAMILIES
WE BELIVE THAT A STRONG AND FLEXIBLE MILITARY IS ESSENTIAL TO PROTECT OUR COUNTRY AND HER CITIZENRY. WE MUST UNDERSTND THAT IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN OUR MILITARY WE MUST PROTECT AND SUPPORT ALL THE PERSONALE THAT MAKE UP THAT MILITARY WHETHER ACTIVE, RESERVE, OR NATIONAL GUARD, AS WELL AS THOSE FAMILIES THAT SUPPORT THE TROOPS, AT HOME OR ABROAD. WE MUST ALSO BE PROACTIVE FOR THOSE INDIVIDUALS THAT SERVED AND MUST ENSURE THAT ALL BENEFITS BE IN PLACE AND SUPPORTED FOR THOSE VETERANS. THUS, We pledge to always stand with ALL military personnel, veterans, and their families as they serve as well as when they return home. THEREFORE:
We support the men and women of our Armed Forces of the United States to include, active duty, reserve, and National Guard, as they defend our state and nation. We pledge to always stand with military personnel, veterans, and their families as they serve as well as when they return home. We support additional help for Nevada’s veterans as a way to honor their service to our nation. Nevada’s Veterans deserve world-class healthcare and benefits programs.
- We support the use of military readiness and diplomacy to deter war. Only when that has been exhausted, should military force be utilized and always in accordance with the Geneva Conventions.
- We believe that veterans are entitled to the full complement of benefits and services that they have earned. This includes, but is not limited to; educational, job placement, vocational training, financial management counseling, housing, employment, and legal benefits.
- We support increases in both programs and funds for at risk vets including extra support for elderly and homeless Veterans.
- We support expanding and providing easier access to service members, military families and veterans’ health services and assistance programs, including, but not limited to: pharmacies, psychological, psychiatric, addiction, prosthetic, palliative care, reproductive and contraceptive services, as well as rehabilitative care. We also advocate for an emphasis on programs for veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
- Supports legislation that provides proactive measures to protect service members from domestic violence and sexual assault.
- We support the use of medical marijuana and holistic medicine in VA Facilities in order to reduce the use of opiates.
- We demand that the federal government fully fund the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), including full staffing, so that there are no backlogs in providing service in the Veterans Health Administration, Veterans Benefits Administration, or the National Cemeteries Administration.
- We support making training available to medical students that focuses specifically on military and veterans’ healthcare.
- We support ensuring reciprocal professional certifications and licensure for veterans and military families.
- We support hiring Veterans Advocates in the Nevada Department of Veterans Services (NDVS) to ensure that our veterans receive the full benefits that they are entitled to by law, in a timely manner without exploitation or harassment.
- We support the establishment of a “Nevada Veterans Fund” to provide short-term, refundable financial assistance to Veterans and Military Families awaiting their VA benefits.
- We support the expansion of the US Department of Energy “Solar Ready Vets” program to Nevada in order to educate Veterans and Military Families to work in the solar energy field.
- We support granting “Honorable Discharges” to those veterans who were discharged because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We support equal and inclusive services to LGBTQI* veterans and their families.